ATIF is an active investor in early stage technology companies. We continuously seek investment opportunities and welcome applications from entrepreneurs directly or through referrals.
Unlike most venture capital firms; which have specifically defined investment theses; ATIF investment guidance derives from the interests of its membership. Currently, our investment interests are:
- Software as a Service
- Internet delivered ideas/products/services
- Optics & Sensors
- New Materials
- Non-invasive medical devices
- Electronic medical records
- We do not invest in retail, services not driven by technology, or real estate
Stage of Development
- ATIF focuses mostly on “early stage” companies. To us, this means companies that have created prototypes of their products or services; have delivered them to at least a few potential customers for evaluation; and those alpha- or beta-customers are willing to provide ATIF their observations about the company’s solution.
- Many of our portfolio companies received ATIF funding pre-revenue, but all had clear and relatively short paths to revenue generation.
- We are not, typically, “seed stage” investors, though, on occasion, we will invest in very early companies.
- We also do not typically invest in companies that expect to require multiple rounds of capital as they develop their products. Thus we rarely invest in gene or pharmaceutical therapies, invasive medical devices, or large scale “green” projects.
- Arizona-based companies are encouraged to apply to ATIF directly.
- Companies located in the Southwest outside of Arizona are encouraged to apply to ATIF through introductions from their local angel group or venture capital firm.
If your company fits these guidelines, we encourage you to apply to ATIF.
As a resource to help you plan your application to ATIF, we suggest Attracting an Angel: How to Get Money from Business Angels amd Why Most Entrepreneurs Don’t, by ATIF members Joe Bockerstette and Marty Zwilling. The book is a good primer on the angel investment process. It is available at Startup Professionals.